Working out the bugs…

On June 1, 2010, in Build, by Migs

The tank has been up and running about a week but still working out the bugs.  A couple of issues I ran into:

  1. pH is low… running 7.8.  I tried to open up windows and cycle the air (remove CO2) but no luck… Going to get some Seachem pH Buffer today and give that a whirl.
  2. Temperature is low… averaging 75 deg… I am not sure if it is a mis-read of my temperature gauge or the heater is not working correctly.  I bought a new heater and it would not even turn on… going to pick up a new temperature gauge and heater.
  3. Timer on used Current USA not working… I thought I got a good deal but running into problems… bad news it has only one cord so external timers are not an option.

For the last problem, I decided to fix it myself.  I proceeded to take it apart when all the gears fell out… long story short, I found the problem with a messed up gear tooth.  After messing with the gears and becoming an expert on timers, I was able to put it back together.  It SHOULD work today, hopefully.  I should find out when I get home from work.

Tagged with:  

2 Responses to Working out the bugs…

  1. Migs says:

    Quick update… the temperature problem was with a digital thermometer gone bad… I bought a Coralife Digital Thermometer about 2 years ago… Just bought another one and compare temperatures… it matched the heater thermostat but was 8 deg off my old digital thermometer… who knew these things would go bad!

    Trying Marine Buffer for my pH problem… hopefully it will make a difference.

  2. Migs says:

    It looks like Marine Buffer did the trick… at about 8.3… see if it drops…

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *